Judd R. Spray has been counseling individuals and corporate clients in commercial and employment disputes since 2002. He has particular expertise in the financial industry and complex financial instruments, having represented clients in matters concerning residential mortgage-backed securities, credit default swaps, charitable trust fund assets, life insurance premium financing, and corporate debt. Judd has advised investment bank and hedge fund clients and represented both broker-dealers and registered representatives in numerous FINRA proceedings.
Judd graduated magna cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School in 2001. In addition to clerking for a U.S. District Court judge, Judd trained at two of New York’s most prominent litigation firms, Cravath, Swaine & Moore and Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan. In addition to running the Law Office of Judd R. Spray, he is also Of Counsel to the litigation boutique Matalon Shweky Elman PLLC.
Judd’s current and past representations include:
- Defending a 600-lawyer firm accused of aiding and abetting wrongdoing in a qui tam action brought under New York’s False Claims Act.
- Defending twelve individuals with $9 billion under management against claims brought by their former employer in a hard-fought FINRA arbitration proceeding.
- Prosecuting a foreign sovereign wealth fund’s international arbitration claims concerning its multi-billion dollar investment in an American financial institution.
- Defending a major technology manufacturer against a $10 billion misappropriation of trade secrets claim in Florida state court.
- Prosecuting breach of contract claims by a leading Mexican telecommunications company in the Southern District of New York, including blocking a proposed sale of the client’s corporate debt to its chief competitor.
- Pursuing claims for misappropriation of charitable trust fund assets by the former employees of a significant financial institution.
- Representing investors, banks, and financial insurers in lawsuits involving residential mortgage-backed securities and financial wraps.
- Managing multi-forum litigation arising out of a fraudulent life insurance premium financing program.
- Managing litigation for a software manufacturer against its former joint venture partner after the dissolution of an on-line brokerage.
- Pursuing claims against the federal government in the United States Court of Federal Claims for losses caused by the wrongful seizure of a Savings and Loan Association.
- Pursuing discovery in aid of foreign proceedings pursuant to 28 U.S.C. §1782.
- Advising hedge fund clients on potential litigation and conducting pre-suit investigations.